Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kick-Ass 2

http://images.wikia.com/kick-ass
The good guys are here.


I loved Kick-Ass. It reminded me so much of a Tarantino movie with its over-the-top violence, dark humor and brilliant acting. Plus, like a Tarantino movie, I didn't realize how much I loved it until the second time I watched it and that my admiration would only grow with each additional viewing. Needless to say, my expectations for Kick-Ass 2 were very high. With a disappointing 29% approval from critics on RottenTomatoes.com, I hoped that the 71% of critics who gave it a negative review were wrong. Thankfully, they were.

I loved Kick-Ass 2. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I have no idea what the critics could've bashed about this movie. It had amazing, captivating action scenes, a solid script, comic relief, interesting new characters and great performances from all cast members.

After the events of Kick-Ass, this sequel follows high-school senior Dave (Aaron Taylor-Johnson), who moonlights as powerless-superhero Kick-Ass. He trains with Mindy, a freshman who dons the alter ego of Hit-Girl. Mindy, who was raised by her father to be a remorseless, ruthless vigilante, is forced into retirement after her guardian, police officer Marcus (Morris Chestnut), makes her start living a normal life. As a huge Hit-Girl advocate, I was a little sad to not see Chloë Grace Moretz in her costume for the bulk of the movie. Having said that, it gave a lot of room for Mindy's character development. Chloë, to no surprise, stole every single scene she was in, whether she was wearing her costume or not.

Dave instead joins Justice Forever, a group of heroes who have been inspired by his actions. Members include a born-again Christian and former mafia informer (Jim Carrey), a twenty-something whose sister was murdered and found in a dumpster (Lindy Booth) and a middle-aged married couple whose abducted son was never found. I was pleasantly surprised how well each of the new members of the Justice Forever were introduced and developed. No one's character felt forced.

Meanwhile (and that is the actual word that shows up on the screen), Chris D'Amico plots his revenge against Kick-Ass for killing his crime-boss father. He forms his own alliance of super villains to counter Justice Forever, and they quickly start killing off the good guys. The ongoing turmoil between Dave's and Chris' conflicting trials lead to a gleefully violent confrontation.

Kick-Ass 2 was funny, action-packed and a remarkably well-made sequel. It's right on par with the spirit and cinematic atmosphere that made me fall in love with the first Kick-Ass. Does this sequel measure up to the original in every way possible? No. Kick-Ass was more original and funny, and I wasn't a fun of some of the subplots here (such as the one with Dave's friend Todd). But Kick-Ass 2 is still extremely enjoyable in its own right. It's one of my favorite movies of 2013 so far - hands down. And I just have to say it again - I loved it. It was just what I had hoped for and then some, and was the most fun I've had at the movies this year. Bring on Kick-Ass 3.

And can we please just get Chloë Grace Moretz her well-deserved Oscar?

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment