Friday, January 3, 2014

A Few Words About The 2014 Golden Globes...

flickeringmyth

The Golden Globes will be airing in just over a week, and since I'll be abroad starting tomorrow, I figured I'd take this time to share my thoughts on the nominations, who I'd like to see win, and what the night could mean for Oscar expectations.

For Best Picture, I was hoping for a surprise nomination for Mud in the Drama category, but I'm still happy to see Gravity and 12 Years a Slave in the running, and I'm also happy that Philomena snuck into the mix. I haven't seen Rush, but I'm a little disappointed Captain Philips made the cut over some other noteworthy films like Blue Jasmine or even Catching Fire. In the comedy field, I have yet to see Her, but I am livid that Nebraska and Inside Llewen Davis got nominated over Don Jon, The Way Way Back, and even This is The End and About Time. As much as I disagreed with the HFPA when they awarded Best Comedy to The Hangover, at least they gave it to a comedy that year. At the end of the night, I'd expect to see 12 Years a Slave and American Hustle win, though my votes would go to Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street to take home the awards.

For Best Actor, again I was hoping for a nomination for Tye Sheridan in Mud, though realistically I knew it wouldn't happen. For Drama, I predict Chiwetel Ejiofor will win for 12 Years a Slave, though Matthew McConaughey might've swayed the voters over with his physical and emotional dedication to his role in Dallas Buyers Club. Either would be fine for me. In comedy, Bruce Dern is expected to win, but to be fair, he didn't make me laugh. Isn't that who this award should go to, someone who made me laugh? I'm still bitter about Joseph Gordon-Levitt being snubbed for Don Jon, and I conceivably could've even seen Liam James on the list for The Way Way Back, but I think the most deserving comedic actor in this category would be Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street, though I wouldn't object to Oscar Isaac for Inside Llewen Davis.

Like last year, Best Actress is anybody's guess. The odds slightly favor Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, though I'd prefer it went to Judi Dench in Philomena (I see Blue Jasmine as more of a comedy anyways). I'm fine with either, or even Sandra Bullock. The HFPA loves Kate Winselt (they gave her 2 Globes in one night), so you never know. For comedy, I really enjoyed Amy Adams in American Hustle, and I'd love to see her finally be recognized at the Globes. Maybe the votes between Julia Louis-Deryfus and Meryl Streep will split and Amy Adams will win her first major acting award.

For supporting performances, Jennifer Lawrence and Lupita Nyong'o are battling it out for Best Supporting Actress. Newcomer Nyong'o gave a more powerful performance, but moviegoers more enjoyed Lawrence. As a result, it's anybody's game, though I'd expect Nyong'o to win. For Best Supporting Actor, Jared Leto will almost definitely be recognized for his transgendered turn in Dallas Buyers Club, though Michael Fassbender might be a surprising win. And I'll interject one final time for Mud and say McConaughey at least deserved a nomination.

Best Director will probably be awarded to Alfonso CuarĂ³n, and it would be deserved for his fast paced and gripping work in Gravity. The award may go to Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave or even David O. Russell for American Hustle, as both of their films tied for the most nominations. Paul Greengrass doesn't have that much of a chance for Captain Phillips, and Alexander Payne doesn't even belong there this year. Best Screenplay is another toss-up, and the award could honestly end up in anybody's hand. If I had to guess, I'd play it safe and go with 12 Years a Slave.

Before I go, a few notes on TV. If Breaking Bad doesn't win for Best Drama and Best Actor, something is very, very wrong with the Hollywood Foreign Press. I'm crossing my fingers that The Big Bang Theory finally gets the love it deserves. I'm also hoping Tatiana Maslany surprises with a win for Orphan Black. Although Homeland wasn't it's best this season, there was no need to snub Claire Danes for her work in the show. Also, where's the love for Game of Thrones?

A frontrunner for Best Picture isn't here yet, so pay close attention to see who gets the awards next Sunday. The Academy usually follows suit in a majority of the categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment